Monday, July 5, 2010

the FIFTH of July

Every year people flock to the beach at Ocean Shores to celebrate the 4th of July. Thousands of people. Thousands of people with thousands of dollars worth of fireworks, booze, snacks, toys, etc.



Every year on the 5th of July, the people who truly love the beach and the ocean and the creatures in it, show up to pick up the mess created the previous night.




This was our first 4th of July in Ocean Shores. We didn't go down to the fireworks, as Rebekah was already in bed and we've heard it's not too safe down there. But we did promise that if we got up early enough we would go down and participate in the clean up.






This is an issue near and dear to Rebekah's heart. She is the queen of recycling and saving the sea turtles (you think I'm kidding but I'm not). So even though I didn't get to sleep until after 1:00AM due to the fireworks going off all up and down the beach, when this little girl is standing at the foot of your bed at 7:30 in the morning with a concerned look on her face, you don't say no.


You haul your hind end out of bed. Pour the coffee in the go cup and fulfill your promise.


She was so happy hauling her garbage bag around picking up litter saying, "I'm so happy for the sea turtles, I'm so happy we're helping the sea turtles, it's great to pick this up so the sea turtles don't choke on it".





I'm muttering in my head, "people are pigs, humanity sucks, what the hell is wrong with people". I'm jaded. She's beautiful.



Grant ended up driving and loading trucks.



Rebekah and I filled 3 bags and took some extras so we can go back later to pick up more. She wore out after an hour and 15 minutes. But the beach looked A LOT better when we left than it did when we got there.





The guy that Grant was helping said this is their best turn out ever for clean up. Thank God!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats just awesome...good for you guys and sleep well tonight, knowing the sea turtles are better off today than yesterday. Tell Bekah Grandma loves her.

Nena said...

wish all the worlds beaches and oceans were treated so lovingly--good job Bekah and mom & dad!!

When we were in Mexico, we visited a beach that wasn't for the tourists--just nasty, sooooo much garbage. and sadly, the locals didn't clean it up regulary and it will probably never be beautiful again. Most of that garbage washes in with the tides from the ships and cruise ships---wonder when people will learn it's the earth, not a garbage can :(

Michelle said...

What a wonderful amazing thing to teach your daughter by example.

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

You guys rock!! The world needs more people like you! xoxo :-)

Blog Archive